Legionnaire’s Disease is a rightfully dreaded bacterial infection caused primarily by the shortcomings of modern technology and a lack of effective controls. The bacteria causing this potentially lethal infection – Legionella pneumophila – thrive in warm, stagnant water and multiply quickly. Hot and cold water systems of large buildings account for the majority of around 250 cases reported each year in the UK. Death occurs in about 12% of cases.
Legionnaires' disease is an uncommon form of pneumonia that may have serious consequences for vulnerable people, who become infected when they inhale air that contains legionella bacteria.
The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and associated regulations require effective control of water systems which may allow legionella contamination. Business owners have to assess the risks from legionella bacteria that may affect their employees, guests, residents or members of the public and take precautions to reduce all risks to a minimum. This process is known as a 'legionella risk assessment'.
Unlike many other assessments, this cannot usually be undertaken by someone without specialist training in Legionella Control and Management.
How can EuroHygiene help you?
EuroHygiene can help you comply with statutory requirements by undertaking the following:
- Carrying out a site inspection
- Drawing up a site specific legionella risk assessments
- Drawing up a business specific legionella policy and management system
- Providing Legionella awareness training for maintenance staff
- Legionella control system auditing to give independent verification of legionella safety management systems and practices
- Providing a dedicated legionella consultant
- Carrying out suspected Legionella illness investigations
- Helping with Legionella outbreak management
- Identification and assessment of risk of the water system
- Prevention and minimisation of risk from exposure to legionella
- Templates and guidance for record keeping of maintenance, cleaning and disinfection of water systems
- Legionella safety consultant help line available 24 hours a day 365 days a year
For further information please complete the form below.